Monday, February 7, 2011

The Cassoulet


I finally got around to making my second cassoulet.  The first used duck confit, but this time I decided on just pork. The recipe is loosely based on Julia Child's Mastering the Art of French Cooking volume 1



Meat and fixings to make the sausage.  Had to use a freshly picked bay leaf.


I've been wanting to use these Tepary beans from Rancho Gordo.  I quick soaked the beans then popped them into the pressure cooker with broth that I made from pork back bones and aromatic vegetables.



I made a double batch of the sausage so that I can make this again soon.  Freezing it in my handy dandy Food Saver.


The pork roast is my mother's recipe.  Liberally salt & pepper then lots of crushed garlic and caraway seeds. The drippings go into the cassoulet, too.



The Assembly

Once I had browned the sausages, I used the pan to brown 1/2 lb pearl onions.  Those got layered in along with the cooked meat picked off the bones from the stock.



In the oven with the parsley crumb topping


And the finished cassoulet ready for eating.  I should have chopped the parsley by hand instead of using the food processor.  This made the whole thing look very green.  Tasted marvelous, though!

No comments:

Post a Comment