Sunday, February 13, 2011

To Ghee or Not to Ghee

I know, I know, it's corny.  But here goes anyways.

So I volunteered to test a recipe for Food52, one of my favorite foodie sites.  I needed ghee.  Hmmm, I thought, why should I buy ghee when I have perfectly good local butter right in the fridge?  Shaw Farm, my local dairy, now makes their own butter, yum!  I had a general idea how to make ghee; it is basically a form of clarified butter.  Why would you want clarified butter?  Sometimes you want to cook with butter, but don’t want it to foam and turn brown.  This happens because there are still milk solids in the butter.  This process removes those solids and allows you to cook with butter at a higher heat.  Nice for browning meat, etc.

Melt the butter in a heavy bottom saucepan then bring to a simmer. 

Skim off the foaming milk solids. 

Once the remaining butter fat is clear, turn off the heat and let cool. 

Strain through a very fine sieve or several layers of cheese cloth.

 Store in a clean jar in the fridge.

Tah Dah!

No comments:

Post a Comment